Sunday, May 27, 2007

Saved!


While most of the country is out watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3...I've been stuck doing family stuff and finishing my assessment project. How did I occupy myself while doing chores...I watched SAVED! Now I can't say enough good things about this movie but I will share the basic premise: it is about a teenage girl in a uber, born-again-christian community who becomes pregnant trying to "save" her gay boyfriend. Although the subject matter is serious, there are several really hilarious scenes in this movie that makes you spit out your water and choke on your popcorn funny. One of my favorite scenes is when the ultra-conservative, christian character Hillary Fay, throws a bible at Mary and screams, "I am filled with Christ's love!" It's such an absurd statement to follow such a harsh action that it makes you laugh hysterically. I think that even if you are a religious person and agree with the morality found in born-agains you will still find this movie funny and interesting because it shows how some people can get a little carried away in the name of religion. I give this movie two thumbs up and suggest you watch it immeadiately! P.S, what do you think if you've already seen it?

1 comment:

mindmaze said...

I have seen the movie and I also thoguht that it was great. Even though I am far from the ultra-conservative Christian lifestyle, I found that the ability of the characters to deal with everyday life situations were universal. I really enjoyed watching the Jewish character (I forgot her name) deal with being in a Christian school. She saw herself as a heathen and could not believe that her parents put her in that school. She rebelled against all the conformist, absurd views and lifestyles of the "clickish" group of girls (i.e. the cheerleaders, etc.) by smoking, falling in love with Macully Culca(is that how you spell his name) and challenging the values of the establishment. Teenagers all around deal with similar people, views, schools, lifestyles and they all cope with them in their own unique way. I guess what I am trying to say is that I enjoyed seeing that even the ultra-conservative kids in parts of America, have issues that question their values. The movie is a funny, thought provoking flick.